Wednesday, May 9, 2007

What a time on the Camino!

The pathways are so horrible because of the bad weather (now in the past, it´s sunny now, but the mud & muck are still with us in places, plus all the rocks loosened in the water run-off). It´s taking even the strongest peregrinos hours longer than usual to complete each stage. Even though I wanted to stay in Lorca, because I was completely spent by then, I pressed on to Estella. The 116 bed Municipal refugio had only one place left. I paid for it, then saw where my bed was & left. Even Richard, a very strong & fast-moving peregrino, looked completely blasted when I saw him there & he arrived hours before I had!

To hell with my schedule. Tomorrow, I´m only going as far as Irache, if that.

5 comments:

Sil said...

Mud and Rocks are the story of the camino. You can afford to slow down Kelly. Once you get to the Meseta you will be fitter, the terrain will be easier and you will make up any lost mileage. The camino should never be slog-slog-slog. Thanks for keeping us all updated!
Buen camino,
Sil

Anonymous said...

You deserve to rest a bit, you've been working so hard.

I'm wishing you continued good luck. Keep us posted.

Patsy

P.S. got sworn in today, just a payment and a bar card away from being full fledged

Anonymous said...

Amawalker speaks truth. Slow down....days 3-7 are the most difficult you will have. The adrenalin burst of the beginning has faded and your muscles aren't totally in walk-rhythym yet.
Relax. You can make up time on the meseta-- pay close attention to what your body tells you. If albergues are hellish or overcrowded, take a room above a café or in a hostal (family-run hotel). Albergues are better in small centres (not the customary stops) such as Villamayor- 9km out of Estella or Torres del Rio-- 11km before Viana. If the Flemish hostel in Los Arcos is too crowded, the Hostal Ezequiel is reasonable $ and only 5 minutes south of the wonderful church there (a must for the pilgrims' mass-- if you do any, this is one of the best places).

In Logrono, the Hostal Nieve, in a corner about 5 minutes from the Cathedral, is inexpensive and pleasant.

Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Was it one of the beds on the landing? Agree with all the above sentiments. Stay strong!

Minks

DG said...

Pats, can I hire you to sue the turistas who drank all the pilgrim´s wine? Get back to me on that, will ya? Congrats again!!!!! I´m very happy that all your hard work has paid off!