Thursday, May 17, 2007

To Madrid via a slow train to China

Well, not that slow, but it did come to a complete halt somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Eventually, we got to Madrid, where I arrived without a reservation for tonight & so had some fun going from hotel to hotel asking "Hay habitaciones esta noche?" and wandering on like a one-woman Posada.

The old town in Pamplona is nice & rather easy to learn your way around. I did find the route of the Encierro ("The Running of the Bulls"), and walked the pathway marked on the map obtained from the Tourist Office. I pretended that I was being pursued by a slow-moving cow who likes to window shop & a good thing too because I found a great "Going out of business" sale along the way.

Did you know that they release the bulls at the bottom of a long, steep hill & only let the drunken idiots get ¨chased¨ by them once the bulls reach the relatively flat & straight Calle Estafeta?? Talk about rigging the game!!! If these guys were really all that brave, they´d start at the bottom too!!!! GO TOROS!!!!

I have some thoughts on the Camino & what I experienced which I shall post later, but I really have enjoyed this trip (despite the crabbing about the weather, mud, etc). I met some really great people from all over the world & I look forward to coming back in September to continue on the Camino.

No comments: