Monday, May 7, 2007

Pamplona at last!!

We left Zubiri early, all happy because we were all meeting in Larrasoana for breakfast. HA HA HA! Larrasoana was locked up tighter than a drum & from that point on there was no food or water except a vending machine after you cross the bridge. Take coins with you if you cannot buy anything in Zubiri the night before. Zubiri in my opinion, is a much better place to stay than Larrasoana.

More mud & muck on the trail, but today I had the smarts to send my bag via taxi. It is way too heavy. I think the cats put invisible rocks in it or something. My feet hurt, my shoulder is killing me, but when we all get to our destination, we take our showers & then it´s off to find food.

If my mother were still alive, she would be having fits by now. In Roncesvalles, I wore flip-flops to church. Today, in Pamplona, I´m staying in a convent. In a room full of men. And I took a nap on my bunk without my long pants on. Modesty & vanity are the firsts thing to go on the Camino. But everyone is in the same boat today who came from Zubiri--tired, hot, thirsty, hungry. Until those needs are filled, we really didn´t give a damn about anything else.

4 comments:

Javier said...

Hello Kelly from Pamplona.
I hope tomorrow you will be better weather in your Camino to PUENTE LA REINA.
Saludos

Anonymous said...

Modesty on the camino?? Ha!!
If my mother was still alive she would have been horrified - on our first night in Roncesvalles I slept on top of a Frenchman and had a German on top of me! (Triple bunks.)
I've ordered you sunshine to dry the mud - blue skies and a correos where you can post some of your stuff ahead to Santiago!
Big pilgrim hugs Kelly,
Sil

Anonymous said...

I remember reaching Pamplona and really feeling like I'd reached my first Camino milestone.

Buen Camino! Jon

DG said...

They´ve gone to double bunks in Roncesvalles, Sil. Good thing too because someone fell off the top the night I was there, but wasn´t hurt.

As for last night, I drew the short straw in the Snoring Category---5 snorers in my room at the convent!!!