Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Camino is like life

Each day, we struggle hard to make it to the next town, sometimes going through hell & back to get there. It made me think today, the first day I´ve had a chance to ¨nave-gaze¨instead of constantly thinking ¨how the hell do I get myself out of this in one piece?¨that each day represents our lifetimes. We have ups & downs (mostly ups right now---argh say my ankles & knees), we meet friends, pause at bars & have a rest, then soldier on to the final stop for the day. Then we rest, shower, meet up with our friends, & have dinner & enjoy each other´s company. It seems to me that this is what our lives our like, & Heaven a refugio where we meet up with our wonderful friends, enjoy a meal, & then a nice, long sleep. Although, in Heaven, no one snores.

I´ve met many people: Con from Ireland & Carsten from Germany from my first day out of Valcarlos, without whom I would not have made it to Roncesvalles. Mary & Seamus from Ireland, friends walking the Camino to Burgos (maybe), who are a joy to meet up with on the road, at bars & for dinner at the end of the day. Richard from Oz (or should I say Tazzie?) who just reappeared today at the Alto del Peron quite to my surprise! Felicity from B.C., who got to learn with me how to mail something to yourself in Spain. And so on, many angels so far & only 2 devils, 2 women who refused to share a bench with me yesterday or help me get enough change together to get a much-needed bottle of water out of the vending machine. The Camino gives back to you ten-fold what you give to others, good or bad.

4 comments:

Olga said...

OMG! I've been swamped for the past two weeks and didn't realize you were already gone! Stay safe and I'll be praying for you.

Anonymous said...

I´ll call you when I get back to the US & we can have dinner in SA sometime!
Kelly

Kiwi Nomad said...

Keep posting. great to read what it is really like!

Anonymous said...

If in heaven no one snores, I must not be going to heaven!

Hi, Kelly!