Friday, May 11, 2007

And on to Torres del Rio

I got an early start from Hotel Irache at 6:30 a.m. to make Villamayor in the cool of the day. My friends had gone there yesterday, so were ahead of me all day. The plan had been to stop at Los Arcos, but Seamus carried on to Sansol. The walk was pleasant, mostly downhill & along fields with dirt tracks. However, my right thigh started acting up & now is sore. When I got to Los Arcos, Mary had moved on as well, so I stopped at the bar she recommended & had a glass of freshly-squeezed orange juice, a sandwich (the barista told me it was tuna, but turned out to be fried egg) & a pan de chocolate. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm. Because of my leg, I stopped a pharmacy & got ibuprofen gel to rub on it & also the number of a taxi service, Taxi Conchi. I was picked up very quickly & then we took a detour for another passenger. I was in no hurry, so it was fine & wonderful to see other parts of the Camino, older towns, churches, & monasteries, that you can´t see from the pathway. Met Seamus in Sansol where the albergue wasn´t open. Neither of us liked it, so we went on to Torres del Rio. On maps, they say it´s 2K. In reality, it´s practically around the corner & down the hill. The regular albergue is closed. Someone asked why & was told that they have not been able to get anyone to run it, so we moved on to Casa Mari. Very good choice!!!!! The hospitelera made Seamus take a room upstairs because he was tall & also a man, while I got a bunk in the back, also upstairs, but with its own terrace. The hostel is very clean & nice, & has blankets for the beds. Mary arrived shortly after & got a bunk in my room. Then the place filled up & all that´s left are mattresses on the terrace. Not sure what we´re doing for dinner, but there is a bar here, so surely they´ll serve some food.

I have also decided to stop walking on Sunday in Logrono. Seamus & Mary leave that day, so I might go to San Sebastian with them or stay in Logrono before taking the bus to Burgos & on to Madrid.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Patsy passed the Bar.

No, you can't have her back. ;)

DG said...

Don´t mess with me, buddy. I crossed the Pyrennees armed only with a walking stick & lived to tell the tale. ,)

Anonymous said...

If it makes your sore, tired body feel any better, Keith is walking with a stick too, having injured a foot.

He misses you. We can tell because he wore the gray suit last night, and tonight he was in such despair over your absence that he took the night off.

Come back safe and sound!

Anonymous said...

The history of the camino is littered with tired, aching pilgrims resigned to changing their plans. Many give up - some to try another time. You hang in there and you will make it.
Buen camino Kelly-Peregrina.Sil

DG said...

Keith might love all of us in the KOEB, but I´m obviously his favorite. :evilgrin: Thanks Berry!! I miss chatting with you guys everynight!!