Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Camino Part 1 is over

Boo hoo. I stopped walking in Logrono to go to San Sebastian with Seamus & Mary. The walk to Logrono from Viana was one of the easiest so far & only took us about 3 hours, including the half hour we spent at Felisa´s Border Post. Mary & I got the famous ¨Higos Agua y Amor¨ stamp for our passport, but Seamus who was ahead of us walked on by as he was trying to shake some Italians. We told him that when he comes back in September, he´ll have to walk back to Felisa´s to get the stamp. Seamus insists he will never do the Camino again, but you know what happens when you say ¨never¨right?

Yesterday, we took the bus to San Sebastian & realized the bus was retracing in about an hour what it took us almost a week to cover on foot! Look--there´s Villamayor! Look, there´s Irache!! Look, pilgrims!!! It was weird to realize that we could be seen from the highway even though we weren´t near it or on it.

San Sebastian is a nice old town, full of interesting bars, restaurants, & shops. It is one of the stops on the Camino del Norte (I think; someone will correct me if I¨m wrong), so we saw a few peregrinos. The weather turned very nasty, however, so instead of walking the beach or up to the top of a hill to get a better view of San Sebastian, we simply walked around the old quarter & visited the Aquarium. Of course, today it was nice & sunny when we left.

I am now in Pamplona & I hope that Seamus & Mary got to Biarritz in time for their flight home to Dublin. It´s weird walking the streets of Pamplona, seeing pilgrims arriving in Pamplona & on their way to Cizur Menor or further. I´m at the Hotel Eslava & it´s quite nice. I have room 42, a small single, but it´s next to 40 & 41, 2 double rooms with full baths & small balconies (for drying laundry, hint hint). My room is 37 Euro per night & the place has an elevator. Later, I´m going to collect my laundry & during siesta, I plan to walk the streets where they hold the Running of the Bulls.

5 comments:

Sil said...

Hola Peregrina-DG!
The journey is never over.

In “Journey to Portugal” Jose Saramago who was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1998, said:
'The journey is never over. Only travellers come to an end. The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see the crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them. You have to start the journey anew. Always. The traveler sets out once more."
I'm sure you can't wait!
Love and light,
Sil

Anonymous said...

Hey, DG! Did you do what every good KOEB'er does and wear an "I Root For the Bulls" T-shirt? Let's play Oddball!

DG said...

They don´t sell those shirts here. I would have bought one if they had. The closest was a figurine of a bull on a skateboard, but it was only the display model & the store was out of them. That I would have bought. heh

Besides, I don´t support that particular sport, so I didn´t want to spend any money on it for t shirts & other souvenirs depicting it.

SharonRB said...

Hey, Kelly!

Did you get to run with the bulls? (Just kidding, I know you didn't.) Must have been weird just being there -- seeing the streets you've seen so many times on Oddball. You're missing all the fun here -- they're dropping like flies in DC. Hurry home!

Hope to see you in a couple of weeks.

Sharon

DG said...

Hi Sharon! Make ´em stop dropping until I get home, will ya????

I´ll be back live at the Clubhouse on Monday!