Thursday, November 15, 2007

Pilgrims on horseback



Whenever you watch a John Wayne movie, one thing you can always count on is that sometime during the film, he'll call someone "Pilgrim." I had often heard & read about pilgrims on horseback, but never saw one. I did, however, see lots of horseshoe tracks once I started in Logrono.

It wasn't until San Juan de Ortega that I actually got to see pilgrims on horseback. There were about 5 of them, on beautiful horses. The youngest one told me that they lived in Logrono & were going all the way to Santiago on horseback. On the day that I saw them, they were headed towards Burgos.

I took a few pictures & grabbed a shot of one of the pilgrims on horseback sneaking a cig. The way he was standing & what he was wearing reminded me of John Wayne & the Marlboro Man, Camino-style.

No comments: