Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Last minute jitters!

SmileyCentral.com

This time next week, I will be winging my way towards Paris, France! I have been packing & re-packing my backpack, trying to make it work. It's still coming in at 17 lbs SmileyCentral.com, even though I've tossed out a few things I wanted to bring (mostly things I can purchase in France or Spain, but really, I'd rather save the $ & take & use what I already have).

I finally got frustrated with the two "pockets" that attach to the front straps. Even empty, they make me feel as though I'm being strangled & are really heavy. I decided last night to toss them, but what to use instead? I decided to get a waistpack, which while smaller, will still hold the things I need to keep on hand (like my pilgrim's passport & munchies) AND is much lighter. I also got a cheapo rain poncho which is incredibly much lighter than the one I got earlier. At some point, I will stop spending $$ on this trip. I'll put it all together tonight to see how much my pack comes in at with these subtractions & additions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking at your schedule, you might want to think of passing through Pamplona to Cizur Menor -- only 4.5km and much quieter than Pamplona, where the albergue situation has in the past been problematic.

DG said...

Thanks, AC! I have been thinking about doing just that. I think I'll get up a bit earlier that morning & arrive in Pamplona with time to sightsee & then push on to Cizur Menor to the nice albergue there.

Anonymous said...

sensible. It will make your day easier, especially if there is no room at the albergue in Eunate-- it is small, and does not always receive guests. If so, then Puenta la Reina is only another hour-- the albergue on the other side of the river in PlR is the newer one and the more pleasant. On my 2d Camino I stayed at the Hotel Jakue, at the entrance to PlR-- while I took a room with a bathtub (!), the Hotel has a small albergue as well as hotel rooms if you need something quieter than the 2 large albergues in PlR.

Then again, you might run into some people you like who want to stay with the albergue run by the Padres Reparadores and your friends' company will make it just fine.