Saturday, March 24, 2007

Man plans & God laughs

If the above is true, then He is certainly laughing up a storm over my bold announcement last year that I was taking a whole month off to walk the entire Camino Frances in May 2007. Many things have intervened, and one even threatened to end my dream of even attempting a part of the Camino this year. I put off training for the Camino because the prospect was so dim (thanks to a really bad case, which has now been resolved). Other things, however, had to be taken into account & were not negotiable, so instead of a month, I will only have about 3 weeks. Thus, I will walk from St. Jean Pied du Port (hereinafter SJPdP) to Burgos, the start of the "meseta."

My current plans are to leave home on May 1, arriving in Paris on May 2. To get over jet lag, I will stay there overnight, visiting a museum or two & just enjoying a day in Paris, before flying out to Biarritz & catching the train to SJPdP. If I miss the 3pm train, I will have a couple of hours in Bayonne to buy "contraband" such as sunscreen, toothpaste, & shampoo, which are lethal & can bring down airplanes.

May 4, then, is the first day for my Camino. May 18 is the when I should be stumbling into Burgos.

Here's the outline:

SJPdP is 774 km or 480.94 miles from Santiago de Compostela
Burgos is 488 km or 303.23 miles from Santiago de Compostela

Therefore, I have 14 days to cover 268 km or 167 miles! Have I mentioned that I will be doing this on foot? Carrying a backpack? I need to average about 20 km/day in order to meet this goal.

I now need to go back & work on my itnenrary, since the one I had already developed left out a stop in Eunate to see the Templar church.

2 comments:

Ivar said...

You can do it!

Buen camino,
Ivar in Santiago

SharonRB said...

Good luck, Kel! As long as you make it back in time to meet us in Chicago on June 1,