Thursday, January 31, 2008

I'm still here!

I'm in the planning stages for my next trip to the Camino Frances. Because this is an election year in the US, I will probably have to go in May. The presidential campaigns will kick into full gear in September (when I had planned to go) & won't be over until November (too cold). While I am dedicated to completing the Camino, I am also dedicated to returning my country to sanity & electing a Democratic President, Senate, & House of Representatives! /political mode off

I had originally decided to skip ahead to Sarria & knock off the last 100k, but that never sat right with me. So I sat down with a calendar & a map last night & figured that if I could go at least 25k/day, I could walk Leon-Santiago in 13 days. (Where, oh where, have we heard that before?) Now all I need to do is stop getting sick, get off my hind end & start walking.

3 comments:

Kiwi Nomad said...

It looks like we will be walking at the same time then.... except you will be in Spain and I will be in France in May :-)

martha said...

Leon to Santiago - 13 days? when I do it, probably next year - this will be my first Camino and I was thinking to take 30 days. But I'm 65 and have dodgy knees - am I crazy or is it doable?

DG said...

Martha, Where are you starting from? You're not crazy & it is doable, with some adjustments. It may take you a bit longer, unless you want to travel by bus or train & skip some parts of the Camino. Many people skip over the Meseta. I met a woman on my last trip who walked one day & traveled by bus the next day to the next town. She planned to do this all the way to Sarria. Since the requirement for a compostela is to walk the last 100k, you have to walk the entire route from Sarria to Santiago. Anything before that is fair game. I did take a bus one day to rest my knees at the beginning of my trip. It gave them the time they needed to adjust to all the walking & I didn't have a problem after that. Train as best you can & listen to your body while on the Camino.